Two new translations of The Little Golden Calf

Paul Richardson paulr at RUSSIANLIFE.NET
Mon Feb 1 14:02:40 UTC 2010

Ilf and Petrov's "The Little Golden Calf"
One satirical novel, two seriously different versions

It is rather unusual for two entirely new translations of a classic
novel to be released within a month of one another. Since we have
gotten several queries about the differences between our Russian Life
Books version, published December 1, 2009, and the Open Letter
version, published a month or so later, we have posted on our website:

(1) a list of qualitative points of divergence that we have discerned;
(2) a comparison of the two translations, based on a paragraph
recently selected by a third party reviewer;
(3) a letter from our translator, Anne O. Fisher;
(4) some background information on our translation of the novel.

Here is the link:
http://www.russianlife.com/lgc_divergences.cfm

We have also put up a digital version of our translation, and anyone
can read the first 85 pages of the novel free here:
http://bit.ly/bQLYIC

Sincerely,

Paul E. Richardson
Publisher