Call for Applications: Bard-Smolny Programs in St. Petersburg, Russia

Jennifer Kloes kloes at BARD.EDU
Tue Feb 2 20:38:20 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues:

May we ask for your help in sharing information on the Bard-Smolny
Program in St. Petersburg, Russia with any of your students who might be
interested (or who may need a gentle reminder of our deadlines?)  Our
application deadlines are fast approaching:  March 1st (Summer Language
Intensive) and April 1st (Fall Semester / Academic Year).  Thank you in
advance for your kind assistance.  Below please find a brief description
of each program:

Bard-Smolny Study Abroad Program
Designed to meet the needs of students who have two or more years of
college-level Russian (including heritage speakers), the Bard-Smolny
Program in St. Petersburg offers an academically rich environment for
students from North American colleges and universities wishing to study
in Russia for a semester or for the full academic year.  Students enroll
side-by-side with Russian students in classes at Smolny College, the
first liberal arts college in Russia.  The Bard-Smolny Program enables
students to advance their level of language competency in our Russian as
a Second Language (RSL) program while simultaneously taking other
academic courses that meet requirements for their B.A. degree at their
home college or university.  Smolny College offers courses in 20
academic areas including: art history and architecture; international
relations, political studies and human rights; literature, music and
performing arts; and sociology and anthropology.

For more information:  http://www.smolny.org/bard-smolny

Summer Language Intensive (SLI)
The Bard-Smolny Summer Language Intensive (SLI) provides challenging
courses for students who have completed between two and six semesters of
college-level Russian.  Students who enroll in the 4-week program will
work on solidifying language concepts already covered while improving
language skills.  The 8-week program is the equivalent of one year of
Russian at a North American institution.  Language is taught in
conjunction with our cultural program, which integrates academic
experience with a real feel for the the city of St. Petersburg.
Coursework for upper-level students includes a thematic workshop that
focuses on language learning through content-specific instruction such
as Russian politics, literature and art history.

For more information:  http://www.smolny.org/bard-smolny/summer/

Application Deadlines

March 1               Summer Language Intensive (SLI)
April 1                  Fall Semester / Academic Year
October 1st          Spring Semester

Best wishes,

Jennifer Kloes
International Program Manager
Institute for International Liberal Education / Bard College
Tel:  (845) 758-7081
E-mail:  kloes at bard.edu