"Bitter truth" about Russian language competence

Nicole Svobodny nsvobodn at ARTSCI.WUSTL.EDU
Thu Feb 4 20:54:07 UTC 2010

Could you please send me a copy at nsvobodn at artsci.wustl.edu?

Thanks!

Valery Belyanin wrote:
>      If you are interested in reading about what Russians think about
> the state of the literacy, you may find it interesting to read the
> article, published this Monday in the magazine “Smena”. It deals with
> public response to the proposed change of the rules (coffee, etc.) and
> with journalists’ reflections about literacy and verbal behavior in
> modern Russia. The article is pretty eclectic, though – to my mind –
> it reflects the way Russians think.
>      «Горькое правдо: мы не знаем собственного языка». // Смена, 2010,
> № 2, стр. 5-13.
>      “Bitter *Trooth: We do not Know our Own Language” // Smena, 2010,
> # 2, pp. 5-13
>      I was asked a couple of questions by the journalists and they
> allowed me to send my colleagues the article itself, since it will
> appear in the Internet only in March. Those who are interesting in
> getting the article please contact me, and I will send you two files
> in *pdf with the article (in Russian). [112 and 612 Kb]
>      Valery Belyanin, PhD.

Nicole Svobodny, PhD
Assistant Dean, College of Arts & Sciences
Lecturer in Russian, International & Area Studies
Washington University in St Louis

Office: 257 McMillan Hall
Office hours by appointment in online calendar:
https://asapps.artsci.wustl.edu/appts/
password: svobodny

Phone: (314) 935-7682

Mailing Address:
International & Area Studies
Box 1088 (for packages, instead use: 138 McMillan)
One Brookings Drive
Washington University
St Louis, MO 63130-4899