Why do Russians eat potatoes without the skin?

Drew S dwswear at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 7 19:48:51 UTC 2010

And it sure beats the Gascon mailing list I'm on, where over 50% of the discussions involve impassioned arguments that Gascon is a completely separate language in its own right, and NOT a dialect of a larger 'Occitan' language that includes Lengadocian, Provençal, Lemosin and Auvernhat, which is claimed to be an artificial and imperialistic assertion by Occitan 'nationalists' (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

Cultural ramifications for the presence or absence of skin on potatoes is a breath of fresh air in my world.

Andrew Swearingen
Centre for Romance Linguistics
Department of Medieval and Modern Languages
University of Oxford