Why do Russians eat potatoes without the skin? (13)

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Sun Feb 7 21:40:22 UTC 2010

Elena Gapova wrote:

> I think, this has to do with cooking methods. In Russia (Belarus, etc).
> potatoes are usually eaten boiled or fried. With these, the skins can
> hardly be a delicacy.

Idaho boy writes:

Aw contraire -

Smashed potatoes (mentioned earlier) are basically mashed potatoes with the
skins mixed in. So, no peeling, just boiling and "smashing" (sometimes
baking after the smashing) - usually with garlic or bacon as well.

I will also eat a boiled potato whole, plain. They are good that way.

As for fried - I usually make potato wedges or even Potatoes O'Brian in the
frying pan with the skins still on them.

Why do I do this? Because it's yummy. Why do the Russians not do it? 'Cause
they disagree. I think this is a good enough explanation. It is not a
nutrition thing - just a matter of taste, which is part of our cultural
inheritance - which doesn't always have a finite and/or rational
explanation.

A bit more perspective - for those who are interested in it...

In terms of nutrient concentration, the skin is more valuable than the pulp
in the potato, the orange, and the banana. However, am I about to join my
chimpanzee friends in enjoying fruit with the rinds still on? No.

(Although candied orange and lemon rinds are wonderful - I think it's a
Greek thing, if I'm not mistaken. Wonder how banana peels would fare if
candied?)

On that same line - I dated a Brazilian girl in high school. We went for
Chinese once and she ordered sweet and sour ribs. She ate the ribs whole -
bone and all - crunched through every single one of them. I thought it
strange and dangerous... but she finished the plate and we had several dates
afterwards. I hear marrow is very nutritious...

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org