Why do Russians eat potatoes without the skin?

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Mon Feb 8 01:18:48 UTC 2010

Another UK opinion on this is that in my family we have always regarded
potatoes baked in their skins as delicacies. I don't know what it was
like before WW2 but in my childhood we, and most other children, always
had them with butter, sometimes with the top cut off, the soft inside
scooped out, mashed with herbs and butter or cheese and replaced in the
skin before serving. Recipes can be found in cookbooks, and many
restaurants and pubs serve them with a variety of toppings.
Unfortunately they usually cook them in a microwave, which leaves the
skins flabby and not very appealing.

The best way to prepare them, in my opinion, is to prick them all over,
rub with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, run a metal
skewer through the middle, then bake in a fairly hot oven for an hour,
or until the skins are a golden brown and slightly crisp. Cut them in
half and serve with butter or sour cream with a sprinkling of ground
black pepper. My wife prefers them with mayonnaise but I consider this
rather decadent.

I imagine that the baked potato was formerly food for the less affluent,
but like black pudding, tripe, faggots, pigs trotters, cockles and
mussels, jellied eels and similar low delicacies, is now finding its way
onto more refined tables. I read in The Times the other day that the
French, who have long disdained the humble parsnip, are now discovering
its wonderful flavour, although I think they are not yet making wine
from it as we have long done in England. Who knows, perhaps even
rhubarb, widely regarded in Europe as a noxious weed or at best as a
folk remedy, but in England as a sort of fruit, may yet win wider approval.

Incidentally, and to bring this thread back to its original Russian
theme, does anyone know if Russian Old Believers still condemn potatoes?
At one time they called them Devil's apples and, according to one
polemic tract, thought that potatoes grew from an unmentionable part of
a dead koldun.

Will Ryan