Why do Russians eat potatoes without the skin?

George Hawrysch zolotar at INTERLOG.COM
Mon Feb 8 16:50:31 UTC 2010

> Are there any serious French recipes based on unpeeled potatoes?
> Apologies if this reveals a lack of exposure to haute cuisine...

There is something known as "pommes de terre en robe des champs,"
but I don't think it would qualify as "serious." These are just
boiled potatoes served with the skin on but meant to be peeled
at the table and eaten hot with butter. You would probably not
be able to order this dish in a restaurant in France. My wife
recalls this being served often at children's camps there.

For an interesting discussion of potatoes, their peels, and
French culture, google Antoine-Augustin Parmentier.

George Hawrysch