Why do Russians eat potatoes without the skin? ARSENIC

Mon Feb 8 19:02:45 UTC 2010

[Resending because I didn't notice that pscotto was diverting my reply
to his private address.]

Yes. As I said:

>> The solanine and other glycoalkaloids mentioned above are toxic, but
>> contain no arsenic:
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine>

"Toxic" means "poisonous," though the latter has more punch for the
general reader.

The cited article also says (in the part I quoted), emphasis added:

<http://oregonstate.edu/potatoes/storproc.htm>
> Surface greening is due to chlorophyll formation and is harmless.
> However, its presence in potatoes is undesirable because of marketing
> restrictions and the fact that ***at times*** an alkaloid called
> solanine increases with the chlorophyll. Solanine and other
> glycoalkaloids cause potatoes to have a bitter, undesirable flavor.

Obviously, the end user can't measure solanine levels directly, so he
will steer clear of potatoes that have a greenish cast, but the experts say:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine>
"One study suggests that doses of 2 to 5 mg per kilogram of body weight
can cause toxic symptoms, and doses of 3 to 6 mg per kilogram of body
weight can be fatal."

For a 60-kg adult (132 lb.), 2 mg/kg adds up to 120 mg, and 6 mg adds up
to 360 mg.

Wikipedia goes on:
"Commercial varieties of potatoes are screened for solanine levels, and
most have a solanine content of less than 0.2 mg/g. However, potatoes
that have been exposed to light and started to green can show
concentrations of 1 mg/g or more. In these situations a single unpeeled
potato can result in a dangerous dose."

If the potato has a concentration of 1 mg/g and we need 120 mg for
toxicity (not death, just an upset stomach), then we would need to eat
120 g of peel -- very doable if you don't mind the bitter taste.

Finally, Wikipedia notes:

"Showing green under the skin strongly suggests solanine build-up in
potatoes although each process can occur without the other. A bitter
taste in a potato is another, potentially more reliable indicator of
toxicity. Because of the bitter taste and appearance of such potatoes,
solanine poisoning is rare outside conditions of food shortage."

As a person who frequently eats potato skins, I can confirm that the
bitter taste of greening potatoes is quite unpleasant, and I've always
discarded those. Now I know why. On the other hand, healthy potato skins
(in tubers that have not reacted to sunlight by producing these toxins)
are both safe and tasty.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com