Michurin's famous quote

Steve Marder asred at COX.NET
Mon Feb 8 19:40:48 UTC 2010

> Dear SEELANGers,
>
> I am looking into the background of the quote attributed to the
> Russian/Soviet botanist Ivan Michurin:
>
> My ne mozhem zhdat¹ milostei ot prirody.  Vziat¹ ikh u nee ‹ nasha zadacha!
>
> Can anyone suggest a source (preferably in Russian) that gives information
> about where this statement originally appeared?

According to one source (Vadim Serov. Entsiklopedicheskiy slovar' krylatykh
slov i vyrazheniy, M., 2004, p. 453), the celebrated phrase was written by
Michurin for the introduction to the third edition of his works: "Plodovody
budut pravil'no deystvovat' v tekh sluchayakh, esli oni budut sledovat'
moemu postoyannomu pravilu: "My ne mozhem zhdat' milostey ot prirody, vzyat'
ikh u nee -- nasha zadacha." (I. V. Michurin, "Itogi shestidesyatiletnikh
trudov po vyvedeniyu novykh sortov plodovykh rasteniy," izd. 3-e, M., 1934).