CFP--Translation Studies

Benjamin Rifkin rifkin at TCNJ.EDU
Sun Feb 14 20:21:25 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues:

I had the honor and pleasure of serving on the faculty and in the administration of the College of Liberal Arts at Temple University from 2005-2009. Among my colleagues was Dr. Lawrence / Larry / Venuti, of the English Department, a 2007 recipient of the Guggenheim Prize, and awards from the NEH and NEA, among many, many other notable achievements.

Dr. Venuti is listed as a keynote speaker in the conference on translation studies for which the CFP has generated so much discussion on this list. In a message to this list, one scholar referred to the conference as "humanities lite."

I have taken the liberty of appending to this message the description of Dr. Venuti's work that you can find on the website of the English Department at Temple University. When you read it, I'm certain you will agree with me that there is nothing "humanities lite" at all about the scholarship of Lawrence Venuti. I have nothing but the greatest admiration and respect for him - as a scholar, a translator, a teacher, and as a human being.

I urge us all to remember when we post to this and other listservs that slovo ne vorobei, vyletit - ne poimaesh'.

Sincerely,

Ben Rifkin
The College of New Jersey

Lawrence Venuti, Professor of English, works in early modern literature, anglophone and foreign-language poetic traditions, translation theory and history, and literary translation. He is the author of Our Halcyon Dayes: English Prerevolutionary Texts and Postmodern Culture (1989), The Translator’s Invisibility: A History of Translation (2nd ed., 2008), and The Scandals of Translation: Towards an Ethics of Difference (1998). He is the editor of the anthology of essays, Rethinking Translation: Discourse, Subjectivity, Ideology (1992), and of The Translation Studies Reader (2nd ed., 2004), a survey of translation theory from antiquity to the present.

Recent articles and reviews have appeared in Romance Studies , the Times Literary Supplement , and Words without Borders . He is a member of the editorial and advisory boards of several journals, including Target: International Journal of Translation Studies , The Translator: Studies in Intercultural Communication , and Translation Studies . In 1998, he edited a special issue of The Translator devoted to translation and minority.

He translates from Italian, French, and Catalan. His translations include Antonia Pozzi’s Breath: Poems and Letters (2002), the anthology Italy: A Traveler’s Literary Companion (2003), Massimo Carlotto’s crime novel, The Goodbye Kiss (2006), and I.U. Tarchetti’s Gothic romance, Fosca (2009). His translation projects have won awards from the PEN American Center (1980), the National Endowment for the Arts (1983, 1999), the National Endowment for the Humanities (1989), and the Guggenheim Foundation (2007). In 1999 he held a Fulbright Senior Lectureship in translation studies at the Universitat de Vic (Spain). In 2008 his version of Catalan poet Ernest Farrés’s book, Edward Hopper , received the Robert Fagles Translation Prize.