opposite of an expression

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Feb 17 11:25:01 UTC 2010

Sarah, you have the full context, and you must be right about the author
wishing to say that black will be OK. I know there have been several
interesting published continuations of the Lasker combination, and
indeed a book on the subject, but even so the position of black
immediately after the sacrifice is dangerous, so I was surprised that
your author might apparently think otherwise (as I read it first time).
However, although the phrase "shapkami zakidat'" seems to have undergone
changes in usage, the current journalistic usage, if the internet is any
guide, is in sports reporting where with the negative "ne" it means "to
underestimate" (e.g. the chances of a team). If your author is using it
in that sense, and the quotation marks round the phrase suggest he might
be, then this would indeed fit your understanding that he is being
cautiously positive about black's chances, i.e. "the position of  black
should not be underestimated". This seems to be a fair comment and a
reasonable interpretation of both the Russian and the realities of chess.
Will