Vasily Grossman and Andrey Platonov

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Mon Feb 22 12:53:33 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues,
I would like to second Robert's request for the dissemination of his interviews and all possible info about his new translations. As his eager and faithful co-translator, I can vouch for the fact that he has made the impossible possible. My role (huge, at that!) has been chiefly in assessing how impossible, precisely, the impossible is, in every sentence and locution. The sum total of my contribution to the Platonov enterprise has driven me to the conclusion that it indeed is hugely, utterly impossible. Yet Robert has achieved it! With Platonov, it is a true miracle, a real gift to the English speaking (or rather, English-reading) world. With Grossman, a very important testimony, artistically as perfect and self-restrained as Shalamov's.
Please do take notice of these and use them in your courses.
Olga Meerson