Graduate Studies in Slavic at FSU: extended deadline

Lisa Ryoko Wakamiya lwakamiy at MAILER.FSU.EDU
Tue Feb 23 15:03:51 UTC 2010

Graduate Studies in Slavic at FSU

The Department of Modern Languages and
Linguistics at Florida State University offers an
innovative and interdisciplinary MA curriculum in
Slavic, with emphases in (1) Russian literature
and critical theory, and (2) Russian language pedagogy and SLA.

Our MA program emphasizes literary-critical and
SLA methodologies and theory within a core
curriculum that includes comprehensive coursework
in nineteenth- and twentieth-century Russian
literature. The Slavic Division offers distinctive seminars including:
• Transnationalism
• Critical Approaches to Vladimir Nabokov
• Gogol and (Lacanian) Psychoanalytic Theory
• Hermeneutics and Rhetoric of Old Rus' Literature
• Movements and Genres: Contemporary and
Traditional Approaches (required capstone)

Our colleagues in the Linguistics Division offer such seminars as:
• Language Pedagogy and Second Language Acquisition (required for all TAs)
• Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Students may take courses with faculty in Arabic,
East Asian, French, German, or Spanish to gain
expertise in comparative literary and cultural
studies. Our graduate instructor TAs teach
courses ranging from Russian language to Russian
Grammar and Popular Culture to Multicultural Cinema.

Recent speakers in our regular lecture series
have included Ronelle Alexander (UC Berkeley),
Rado Pribic (Lafayette), Tomislav Longinovic
(UW-Madison), and Michael Heim (UCLA). Our
SLA-focused students recently had the opportunity
to share their research with Bill VanPatten (Texas Tech).

Our students have been accepted to some of the
leading PhD programs in Slavic in North America.
With their strong linguistic and cultural
proficiency, our graduates have gone on to
careers and internships with the US State
Department, Department of Defense, Defense
Language Institute (Monterey), human rights organizations and private firms.

Application deadlines:
February 28, 2010: To be considered for admission
in the fall semester, and to be eligible for
enhancement funds that would supplement a TAship.
March 15, 2010: Extended deadline for
consideration for admission in the fall semester
and to be eligible for a TAship.

For further information, please consult our
website at
<http://www.fsu.edu/~modlang/divisions/russian/graduate.html>http://www.fsu.edu/~modlang/divisions/russian/graduate.html
or contact Prof. Lisa Ryoko Wakamiya at lwakamiya at fsu.edu

Thank you for sharing this information with interested students and colleagues.

Lisa Ryoko Wakamiya
Assistant Professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL  32306-1540
phone: 850/644-8391
fax:  850/644-0524