Fwd: [SEELANGS] Help with old fonts

George Hawrysch zolotar at INTERLOG.COM
Thu Feb 25 16:38:05 UTC 2010

Dr. Rifkin's method is straightforward, will work with most documents,
and should always be tried first. Note that you don't need to use MS
Word. Any modern word processor that can "Save As HTML" (same thing
as "Save As Web Page") will serve.

Failing this, a more involved way is to save your file as Rich Text
Format and then manipulate the resulting .rtf file as if it were a
.txt file (it's possible because the RTF file format actually *is*
plain (ASCII) text). The RTF specification represents single-byte
and double-byte characters differently, so you can create a macro
to convert between them. It's tedious to set up initially, but you
only have to do that once. It's especially useful in dealing with
Cyrillic texts which are mixtures of 1251 and Unicode encodings,
as can occur when several people have edited the same document.

George Hawrysch