"Translators Struggle to Prove Their Academic Bona Fides"

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Fri Feb 26 11:27:22 UTC 2010

A couple cents on this -

I think a lot of it simply has to do with the fact that non-translators seem
to think that there is nothing hard about translation - that translators
simply breathe in one language and exhale another and that there are hard
and obvious "correct" and "incorrect" in translations...

I find that I often have to educate both intern-translators and clients that
translations are not a simple task and that you can't expect anyone who
simply "knows" both languages to perform translations. I also find I end up
explaining to the same people multiple times the same concepts - because
they just don't get it (and it's not an easy subject to explain - most
mortals simply do not contemplate the subjectivity of reality or the power
of creation).

I would assume that many translators stay out of conversations on this as
well because it is difficult (and time-consuming) to explain. I think likely
this is especially true in countries where monoglots are the norm - who have
never thought outside their own language.

Incidentally, I had very similar trouble when teaching Introduction to
Theatre and especially "interpretation of scripts," as it is called, in the
directing section. Getting students to understand that a play could be
presented in multiple ways, with nearly any message, simply by changing the
way lines are stated, using stage movement, costume and set, non-vocal
communication, etc. to turn the script into a full-fledged production of how
you, personally, see it as a director and what you want to communicate with
it. Most would not believe it was possible without rewriting or heavily
editing the script. The fastest way I found to quickly express this and at
least get them thinking that it is was possible, was to play them remakes of
songs (Smells Like Teen Spirit - as performed by Nirvana and Tori Amos, for
example - same "script" - words and even basic composition - but completely
different feel).

In short, I would guess that the reasons behind these issues are based in
the fact that the market is simply not educated about translation - and that
many who translate have not the time, energy, or perhaps even skill to
educate and press their market. Just as speaking a language is a separate
skill from translating into it, teaching something is a different skill from
actually doing it...

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org