Translators Struggle to Prove Their Academic Bona Fides

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Fri Feb 26 14:49:00 UTC 2010

Dear Robert,
Exactly! And I would highly encourage those with opinions on this list to provide them also at the bottom of the Chronicle article for future readers to consider.

>Forwarded Message: Re: "Translators Struggle to Prove Their Academic Bona Fides"

Friday, February 26, 2010 4:55 AM

"Robert Chandler" <kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM>

>To:
undisclosed-recipients

I had meant to reply to the following point too:
>'He adds a qualifier that goes beyond institutional pragmatism: "Although I
think translation is important and valid, it's worth noting that translation
>can take people away from criticism and theoretical thinking of an original
sort. My chair was also telling me, Finish the book, don't lose sight of
>that." When you're translating, you already have a text to work with,
"whereas writing your own book can often be more taxing, since you don't
>know where it needs to go." '
>This assumption is seriously mistaken.  One does not always know where a
translation NEEDS TO GO!  I certainly felt very lost indeed when I was first