³the incomplete grandiosity of Russia²

Peed, Michael michael_peed at NEWYORKER.COM
Fri Feb 26 22:31:23 UTC 2010

Thanks a lot.  Very helpful.

Mike Peed
Fact Checker
The New Yorker
4 Times Square, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10036
212-286-5722
Fax: 212-286-5947

On 2/26/10 12:39 PM, "Olga Meerson" <meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU> wrote:

> My ear remembers an expression "nesostoiavsheesia velichie" (несостоявшееся
> величие)". Ironically, when I checked now on line, all the contexts were about
> some nation of Eastern Europe--Polish, Hungarian, or Czech. The sites, of
> course, were all Russian nationalist! But this may mean that Russian
> nationalists have begrudged someone for a prior application of the expression
> to their own empire--or that the expression referring to Russia, itself was a
> form of such begrudged verbal recycling, parodial, polemical and whatnot.

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the person(s)
or company named and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or use of
this information may be unlawful and is prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please delete this message and notify the
sender.