Grossman - Mama - teryat' v vese

Fri Jan 1 19:47:10 UTC 2010

Nataliya Kun wrote:

> The thing is, "в домах отдыха" Soviet people were supposed to gain
> weight, and not to lose it!  Weight loss is as bad as other forms of
> destructive behavior.

Weight gains or losses may be constructive or destructive healthwise
according to whether the person is overweight or underweight to begin
with. For me today, for example, losing a few pounds would be a positive
step, leaving me fitter and more energetic. ;-\ But most runway models
have only one way to go...

As a cultural value, however, some communities think all weight gain is
positive and all weight loss is negative. Probably a relic from the
times when famine was much more likely to kill you than heart disease,
diabetes, etc. in middle age.

> Therefore, the phrase should be translated literally. It has nothing
> to do with the figurative meaning of вес.

Agreed.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com