xudozhnik etymology (was: Grossman - Mama - teryat' v vese)

Curt F. Woolhiser cwoolhis at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Jan 1 23:11:42 UTC 2010

As far as I am aware, the word "xudozhnik" is etymologically unrelated to the
Common Slavic root *xud-. Rather, as indicated by Vasmer, it appears to be
derived from the Gothic *handags "skillful, dexterous" (cf. English "handy"),
borrowed into Common Slavic as *xo,dog- ( > Old Russian xudog"). This being
said, it would still be interesting to see if the folk etymology linking
"xudozhnik" to the root xud- is reflected at all in popular perceptions of
artists...

Curt Woolhiser

================================
Curt Woolhiser