weight gain

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Jan 2 17:55:21 UTC 2010

It goes without saying that all the expressions of weight gain
traditionally have a positive lexical connotation:

popolnet' — from polnyj (full, as opposed to empty)

popravit'sja — to get better

razdobret' — from dobryj 'kind'

tolstyj — can be the last name of a count, while xudoj — cannot. The
last name of this root has a disparaging suffix -ak: Xudjakov,
certainly nothing positive could come with that.

upitannyj — well fed

tuchnyj — the one who has a lot of fat

zhirnyj/zhir — comes from the word zhit', that is what you gain in
(good) life.

Adjectives like nalitoj could also describe — positively, of course —
an ample body.

On Jan 2, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Max Pyziur wrote:

> I don't know if the same occurs in Russian, but in Ukrainian weight-
> gain is oftentimes described as an "improvement," of sorts;
> sometimes literally, sometimes ironically.
>
> e.g. Він поправився/Вона поправилася

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University