State Department Language Classifications

Benjamin Rifkin rifkin at TCNJ.EDU
Mon Jan 4 03:10:13 UTC 2010

Dear Francoise and Other SEELANGers:

The change from the older more complex system essentially redistributes languages from what had been category II into categories I and III. There are indeed substantial differences in the rate of acquisition for American learners between the newly named "superhard languages" (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean) and the other Asian languages (including Thai and Vietnamese) with regard not only to orthography, but also to grammar and syntax, sociolinguistics, and discourse practices. The alphabet for Arabic is only one concern (would that it were the only one): learners of Arabic must learn both the formal written standard (Modern Standard Arabic) and at least one spoken dialect, since both are used in a single speech community. There are other issues as well that make Arabic unique among the semitic languages to be classified as a "superhard language", again based simply on the data of the rate of acquisition.

There is essentially no change in the classification of most of the Slavic languages, which remain in the "hard languages" group (formerly known as category III). Although I don't yet have confirmation, I suspect that Bulgarian, the Slavic language without a complex nominal morphology that had been in category II, may have been reclassified with the other Slavic languages, rather than shifted into the "easy" or "world languages" category with Romance, Swahili, Dutch, and the Scandinavian languages. German, Hebrew, Hindi, and Indonesian, other languages in the former category II, are now marked as somewhat more challenging than the other languages in the "world languages" or "easy languages" category, somewhere in a position of 1.5 in the new 3 point scale.

Best wishes to all,

Ben Rifkin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francoise Rosset" <frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2010 9:57:14 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] State Department Language Classifications

Are we sure this is the NEW stuff? The site that Gerry pointed us to
(thank you, G.) has a copyright notice from 2007. Unless the State
department is in the habit of updating its sites sloppily enough to
forget to change the date (no comment ...), this could in fact be an
older classification.

There *were* two charts floating around before, the one that was
apparently just dumped, and an already simpler one. I remember because
2-3 years ago I asked Ben to point me to the more complex one.

If this is a new classification, I must say I find their Category III
puzzling: the only four languages in there seem to have been chosen
_in part_ by reputation/old stereotypes/politics. On what basis does
it happen to include just the three "greats" of the Asian languages,
--conveniently also the three main political entities,-- and no other
Asian languages? Not only are K, C and J quite different from one
another, I wonder if they are that transcendentally harder than
Vietnamese and especially Thai? Yes, I know that the writing system of
V and Th is like an alphabet and not like Chinese. But then what about
Arabic, and why is *it* transcendentally harder than some of the
languages in II ???

My experience with Asian languages is minimal and confined to
Japanese, Thai and Vietnamese. But this classification does not sit
well with me, and I would appreciate comments from people with actual
expertise.
-FR

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies