AAASS 2010 Panel: Vision & Time in 20th Cent Rus Poetry

Kristin Romberg kristin_romberg at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 7 17:51:15 UTC 2010

Dear Sarah,

I don't know how far you're willing to stray from poetry, but I'd be interested in doing a paper about Varvara Stepanova's Gaust Chaba. It's a "book" of 1919 in which she hand watercolors zaum words on newsprint. My paper talks about the relative powers of resistance and participation involved in the use of text and image in relation to technologies of reproduction. It talks about the book as a transition between futurism and constructivism in relation to that political moment.

As for me, I'm currently finishing my dissertation in art history on the Russian constructivist Aleksei Gan at Columbia.

Let me know what you think, and best of luck!

Kristin