mysterious Eudora keyboard incident

ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jan 11 04:37:54 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues:
See if you can figure this one out:
Using Eudora I have never been able to do Cyrillic.  I can't even
paste a Russian text into
a blank Eudora letterhead (or whatever the electronic version of an
empty message page is called).
About an hour ago I accidently "tripped" my left hand on the lower
left keyboard.  I probably hit some
peculiar combination of keys--including Ctrl and ???  I did NOT see
what I hit, but in the middle of a message
I was typing I began to type Cyrillic.  I  have no idea what I
did.  I carefully hit all the keys in sequence, arranged
analogue to the keyboard layout, so I could see the whole layout.  It
was definitely the full alphabet, but not the so-called
student layout that I use in MS Word.    I suppose it was the
standard Russian but I wouldn't recognize it:  All I remember
is that the Q key was a Y, and the lowest rightest key was Cyrillic B (bee).
I saved this, and then mailed it to myself, pasting in my
address.  It arrived unchanged, and I saved it in another mailbox.
I also copied it to paste in a Word doc, just to see what would
happen.   What happened was that I got the perpetual
hourglass, and had to do a shutdown of Word.  So it would not paste
into a Word doc.
I then closed Eudora and re-opened it.  It no longer typed
Cyrillic--back to normal.   I then looked in the Out mailbox
to see the message I had sent to myself, and it was missing,
gone!!!   This has never happened.
Then I went to the other mailbox where I had put the received
self-mailed message with the alphabet, and it was there,
but all the Cyrillic letters had been replaced by the set of Latin
letters with assorted diacritics that is one of the things
that shows up when other people send messages in Russian!
So that is why I could not do a Cyrillic bee above--it's all gone as
mysteriously as it came, and I don't know how to get
it back.
Any thoughts on this?
Jules Levin
Los Angeles