Seeking Speech Samples of Russian Heritage Speakers

Susan Bauckus sbauckus at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jan 15 22:26:10 UTC 2010

I am writing to ask for your help with a joint ACTFL/National Heritage Language Resource Center research project.

We are seeking speech samples of heritage speakers of Russian between the ages of 18 and 29 to gather reliable data on their spoken language profiles.

Those interested in participating are asked to complete a qualifying survey, providing biographical and linguistic data and a sample of their spoken language proficiency. Once qualified for participation as heritage speakers, participants will complete:

• a second computer survey (approx. 3-5 minutes)
• complete the ACTFL OPIc (Oral Proficiency Interview-Computer), an internet-based assessment of spoken language proficiency

Participants who complete the surveys and the OPIc will be paid $25 and will receive an official ACTFL OPIc certificate indicating their level of spoken proficiency in Russian according to the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines – Speaking.

We ask if you could announce this project to your students or others you believe might be qualified. Those interested in participating can go to the website indicated below to complete the qualification survey:

http://actfl.informz.net/survistapro/s.asp?id=2071&u=1011855681

If you have questions about this project or the surveys, please contact Crystal Campagna at ccampagna at actfl.org or (914) 963-8830 Ext. 220.

Thank you for bringing this project to your students’ attention.  We hope it will help us formulate guidelines for giving OPIs to heritage speakers of Russian.
Your help will be much appreciated.

Olga Kagan
UCLA

Susan Bauckus