2010 ACTR National Post-Secondary Essay Contest

Jane Taubman jataubman at AMHERST.EDU
Mon Jan 25 01:57:19 UTC 2010

Thanks for taking this over, Cathy!  If you need someone to monitor the
exam, I can probably do it (better a faculty member than Heather, since
the question is in Russian as well as English).

As for sending in the check late, that's what I've always done in the
past, Cathy, so it should be no problem. You should have several good
candidates for nomination in Russian 04:  I nominated Jaclyn and Nathan
last fall, and was surprised that neither of them won even honorable
mention.  I think the competition is getting harder, and the question
last year, about happy families, involved grammatical issues they hadn't
had yet.

 From the first-year class, I'd nominate Eirene Wang and Susanna An,
both class of 2013.  I suspect Amanda has some strong candidates from
her section as well.  There are one or two UMass students who did very
well on the final, and I think they are eligible as long as they are
taking classes as Amherst, but they may not be interested.  There is
also Nick Laverty, who is a UMass grad student.

Jane