National Russian Week?

David Powelstock powelstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Wed Jan 27 01:08:17 UTC 2010

A great idea, Devin! Maybe we could get the folks at Russian Life Magazine
involved. As for a date, I don't know. There really isn't any consensus
national holiday, is there? International Women's Day? We tend to celebrate
IWD at Brandeis -- partly because it's amusingly sentimental, partly because
it comes as the weather starts getting warmer, but while school is in
session. Ivan-Kupala, pagan edition? Falls in summer, no good.

David Powelstock

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Devin Browne
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 9:04 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] National Russian Week?

Has the profession (whatever that means) ever considered establishing a
National Russian Week in the U.S.?  As a French and Russian teacher, I've
seen how effective National French Week can be in raising awareness in my
school about what kinds of things are going on in the French-speaking world
as well as in my classroom.  It would be helpful to have something similar
in Russian.  I've contemplated doing my own thing and coinciding it with...
well, um.... the only thing I could find on the internet was Russian Fashion
Week in April and October.  Maybe that's a little over the top, but I'm open
to suggestions!  :-)

Devin