Russian Week

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Thu Jan 28 14:42:41 UTC 2010

The School of Russian and Asian Studies (with our popular, free website and
newsletter) is also behind it. I'm sure that AATSEEL and AAASS would also
support something of the like.

I think the more pressing issue here is not what organization will support
it - but how will it play out? Maslenitsa is only a couple of weeks away
(Feb 8-14).

I'm sure that if a handful of programs did events, reported back with
write-ups and pictures, then next year we would have "ammo" for showing
folks what can be done - and showing other organizations what is being done
and why it should be supported.

A few basic ideas (mostly stolen from / inspired by Mr. Paul Richardson) to
start the conversation:

1. Blini
Might not have enough time to organize a competition with the French
department down the hall, but you should have enough to make some to take to
class - or even get permission to set up a stall somewhere on campus to make
them and hand them out or even sell them for something nominal. They are
quite cheap to do. This would be an excellent fundraiser and awareness
campaign for an enterprising Russian club.
Resource: http://www.sras.org/maslenitsa_blin

2. Celebrate Chekhov
Have your students read one of Chekhov's short stories. Beginners can go for
English translation - more advanced students can read the original - and
then act out improvised synopses in Russian. You can help the students do
this by first having them do a briefly timeline or outline of the story in
basic Russian. If you can do this outside of the classroom - maybe in the
student union after a couple of "trial runs" in the classroom - all the
better as then strangers are confronted with the language and see students
having fun with it. Come prepared with a sign saying what the event is and
maybe some info printed out on your department/class that students can pick
up. You might even get a few late-subscribers to the class if admissions are
still open at your uni.
Resources: http://chekhov2.tripod.com/ ; http://az.lib.ru/c/chehow_a_p/

3. Celebrate Yaroslavl
There is a delightful blog out there called "Yaroslavl for me" - run a
couple of young, humorous Russians who speak incredibly bad English. Lots of
music, humor, podcasts... stuff college students today can grove on. They
have some basic Russian lessons as well on there. Have your students browse
the site, watch the videos, etc., and come up with an advertisement for the
city (in Russian of course) on the theme: "Yaroslavl: chto eto takoe?" Maybe
have them use some outside research as well on the actual history of the
city... This would be preferably something in video format that could go on
YouTube - but barring the event that you or your students have a video
camera, etc. available - it could go into anything from a basic essay, a
power point presentation, etc. Give students points for creativity.
Resource: http://www.yarfor.me/

These are three ideas that can be implemented with little planning or prep -
they are mostly for fun, but should be good at boosting interest and
hopefully exciting students with something big at the start of the semester
when they are likely still in the mood to tackle big things.

I would additionally propose that everyone that does something for
Maslentisa (whether these ideas or not) document it and send me the
information. I'll do a page devoted to it on SRAS.org and we'll have that to
show folks next year - when we do something even bigger, better, and with
more support from more organizations, etc.

Any takers?

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org