taking poll on pronunciation

Thu Jul 1 13:20:39 UTC 2010

John Dunn wrote:

> As it happens, I have of late been contemplating the rules by which
> English speakers assign stress to unfamiliar Russian names.  In the
> instance of Borodino, two rules would seem to be relevant.
>
> The first is that final stress is generally avoided.  There are
> exceptions to this with some two-syllable names, particularly if they
> are transliterated according to French norms (as used to be the
> practice for passports and the like), but final stress does not
> appear to occur spontaneously with longer names.
>
> The second rule is that English prefers to avoid sequences of more
> than two unstressed syllables.  With four-syllable names there are
> thus two options, and while it is my impression that the second
> syllable is the 'default' (if there is one), the actual assignment
> appears to depend on the shape of the word.  I am sure that a
> previous correspondent is correct in suggesting that BoroDIno is
> prompted by Italian patterns such as ValenTIno, just as the pattern
> CasaNOva is probably responsible for stress assignments of the
> SharaPOva type.

Agreed.

I would add that other things being equal, certain syllable types tend
to attract stress in English -- syllables with complex consonant
clusters, diphthongs, and "long vowels" seem to be preferred over CV
syllables and those with "short vowels." Thus, it's more likely that the
stress would be placed finally if the word were "Borodinay" or
"Borodinoskt" (imaginary but permissible English words). By the same
token, the imaginary word "Boraudino" would most likely get
antepenultimate stress.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com