taking poll on pronunciation

Ralph Cleminson Ralph.Cleminson at PORT.AC.UK
Thu Jul 1 18:08:30 UTC 2010

>>> Hugh McLean <hmclean at BERKELEY.EDU> 01/07/10 5:58 PM >>>
John Dunn is doubtless right that the Casanova model is responsible for
SharapOva,

It cuts both ways.  As a Slavist, I've found myself pronouncing the name
of the Dutch rose grower Rosanova as Rozánova.

It doesn't help being a mediævalist either.  A while ago I caught sight
of a newspaper headline "£30,000 charge for cæsareans" and remarked to
my daughter "I read that as '£30,000 charge for Cæsaréans'."

To which she replied "Isn't that what it says?"