Elephant in the room

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Sun Jul 11 00:34:15 UTC 2010

I have a different sort of "elephant" question.  Not sure if this is
the right forum, but here goes.

I met a man in Moscow.  He was quite prominent in museum circles.  We
had a lengthy correspondence and I put him in touch with various other
people in Canada with similar interests.  He was an avid
correspondent.  He wrote to all of them before they had a chance to
contact him.

Then, all of a sudden, he disappeared.  I emailed many times.  Finally
I called and was told that the phone was no longer in service.  Any
ideas as to what happened?  Did he get into trouble for contact with
too many foreigners?

I'm both curious and worried.

Natalie Kononenko
Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography