Departmental Chairs Meeting, AATSEEL 2011

Alexander Burry alexander.burry at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 13 00:41:29 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues,

AATSEEL would like to announce a departmental chairs meeting that will take place at the
upcoming conference in Pasadena, CA. The meeting, sponsored by Tom Seifrid and Susan
McReynolds, will be held Friday, January 7, 2011, 5:00-7:00 pm.

This event will enable chairs to share information and strategies on a wide variety of
topics. Questions to be addressed may include, but are not limited to:

 --How can chairs best advocate for students and faculty within our home institutions?
What is the guiding role, if any, of chairs in the larger curricular revisions of the college
or university, and how can Slavic departments—traditionally small, or merged with other
national languages—make themselves most effectively felt?

--What forms of collaboration with other disciplines have proven fruitful? What forms
have not? What, if any, are the qualifications we should look for in each party? How
might such collaboration be fairly credited and assessed?

--How can chairs have an impact on the conditions of adjunct faculty?

Please contact Tom Seifrid (seifrid at usc.edu) or Susan McReynolds
(s-mcreynolds at northwestern.edu) with suggestions for further topics. We look forward to
seeing you in Pasadena.

Best wishes,