porpoise

William Derbyshire Wwdslovene at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 20 21:50:26 UTC 2010

In a message dated 7/20/2010 3:34:36 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET writes:

I agree with the two preceding replies. The term refers to guinea  pigs.
Marc Robinson is correct. This refers to porpoises, and they do give
birth during the summer months, primarily in July.
Wm. Derbyshire

Hello,

I’m working with a translation of an early  19th-century document in which
the way in which the months were characterized  by Alaska Natives is
described. July is said to be the month when “морские  свинки плодятся”.
The translator has said this means when “dolphins give  birth”. Does this
refer to  dolphins?

Thanks,

Sarah  Hurst

options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface  at:

Coffee !  - you can sleep when you're dead !

William  W. Derbyshire
Professor Emeritus - Rutgers University
freelance translator  - Slavic languages
land line: 505-982-6646
cell:  520-400-9190