Russian proverbs - near English equivalents?

Elena Ostrovskaya elena.ostrovskaya at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 22 08:52:14 UTC 2010

Dear Zita,
I am afraid I don't get what you / they mean by 'near equivalents'.
Corresponding English proverbs? I'd be really surprised if there were one
about banya. Or translation? Could you please clarify?
Anyway, if you follow this link
http://masterrussian.com/proverbs/russian_proverbs_3.htm

you'll find equivalents and literal translation to your 1st and 4rth
proverbs.
For the 2nd,
I'd say something like: The beauty of a home is hospitality, not decoration
Literally: The beauty of a house is its pies, not its corners.

All that keeping in mind that 'krasny ugol' is not a red corner, or even a
beautiful corner, since 'krasny' here means 'good', or 'beautiful', but a
place of worship where the ikons are

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Красный_угол<http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D1%83%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%BB>
.

Thus the same thing can be understood in the religious line.

3. The day you go to banya, you don't get older that day.

Hope that helps.
Elena Ostrovskaya

<http://masterrussian.com/proverbs/russian_proverbs_3.htm>You'll find the
equivalen and translation to your 1st and 3rd sayings.