Russian proverbs - near English equivalents?

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Sun Jul 25 20:51:57 UTC 2010

Banya  proverb -- Cleanliness is next to Godliness?

Melissa Smith

On 7/22/10 6:40 AM, anne marie devlin wrote:
> Possibly the nearest equivalent for the first is 'love conquers all';
athough there is no mention of 'advice'.

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Красный_угол<http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D1%83%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%BB>
> > .
> >
> > Thus the same thing can be understood in the religious line.
> >
> > 3. The day you go to banya, you don't get older that day.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> > Elena Ostrovskaya
> >

> > <http://masterrussian.com/proverbs/russian_proverbs_3.htm>You'll
find the
> > equivalen and translation to your 1st and 3rd sayings.
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Zita Dabars <ZitaD at aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you for your comments.
> > >
> > > I failed to say that the transliterated version (for which I was
not
> > > sufficiently accurate) will never appear in the "Answer Key to Mir
> > > russkikh." The
> > > transliteration was used only in the case that the Cyrillic did
not appear
> > > in the mailing which I sent to SEELANGS.
> > >
> > > Zita Dabars

> > > options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
at:
> > > http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

> > options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
> > http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

-

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor