gender in translation

Michele A. Berdy maberdy at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 29 10:50:18 UTC 2010

> On the question of sex and grammatical gender, it is sometimes possible to
> use masculine nouns to refer to women (or female animals), but it is much
> harder to find examples where the reverse happens.

I got very interested in this at one point and asked a Russian translator
friend to put together a list of examples from literature of men being
referred to as mamochka, milasha, golubushka, milochka, etc. and women
referred to as golubchik, brat, zolotoi, etc. He says that changing the
gender intensifies the sense of affection and intimacy. (Would you all
agree?)  I never knew quite what to make of this, and so it remains in a
file of "topics to figure out some day." I would be very interested in any
research on the subject.

Here's a related question for the British speakers on the list: in my
paperback version of Sayer's Gaudy Night, the women students refer to each
other as Brother So-and-so. But in later editions (it appears), the text was
corrected to "Oh, bother!" or "Bother!" Does anyone know if British women
university students (in the 30s?) ever called each other Brother? (I had
jumped on this as an analagous example in English, but then abandoned it.)