gender in translation

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Thu Jul 29 17:59:56 UTC 2010

Tolerance for rhyme in contemporary English poetry is not the same as tolerance for rhyme in translations into English, especially of non-contemporary works, "classics," etc. Of the thousand or so unsolicited poetry submissions The Iowa Review gets each year, few employ regular rhyme, though I can't agree with Alex that versification skills have declined -- that depends on who's teaching and who's learning and who's publishing, same as ever.

That break in sensibility and artistic aims was probably just a little earlier than the 1980s and likely had something to do with the wave of experiment and innovation in 60s and 70s poetry circles (Beat, language poets, etc.). Which reminds me: does anyone on the list know of homophonic translations into Russian or any other Slavic languages? I'm thinking of the sort that Louis Zukovsky or Charles Bernstein have done into English.

Russell Valentino

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Ivan S. Eubanks
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:18 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] gender in translation

  The debate is pretty old, dating at least back to the 17th century, as
far as English verse is concerned.

For example, John Milton, in his "Introduction" to /Paradise Lost/,
condemns rhyme in English poetry:

"Rhime being no necessary Adjunct or true Ornament of Poem or good
Verse, in longer Works especially, but the Invention of a barbarous Age,
to set off wretched matter and lame Meeter; grac't indeed since by the
use of some famous modern Poets, carried away by Custom, but much to
thir own vexation, hindrance, and constraint to express many things
otherwise, and for the most part worse then else they would have exprest
them."

I'm not saying I agree with Milton, just that the pendulum has been
swinging for centuries.

Ivan S. Eubanks
/Pushkin Review / ?????????? ???????/ <http://www.pushkiniana.org>