gender in translation

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Thu Jul 29 19:42:07 UTC 2010

I think it's kind of like that, yes, at least for very short poems with very strict meter -- they will sound humorous. But rhyming also makes certain kinds of stylization possible, gestures, and virtuoso moments that some contemporary English-language poets make splendid use of.

Right, not a good word, tolerance. I'm sure there's a better one.

Russell

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Paul B. Gallagher
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:18 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] gender in translation

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject of poetry, but my
impression is that the question is not one of tolerance vs. intolerance,
but of the impression created by rhyming. Rhyming in English tends to be
associated with less-serious poems -- limericks, ditties, and such -- so
a modern poet who chooses to rhyme risks having his work taken less
seriously.