When ПушкинComes to Shove

Stephanie Briggs sdsures at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 31 16:54:16 UTC 2010

In the book "Ice Bound"  by Dr Jerri Nielsen, a doctor serving at the South
Pole Station who diagnosed and treated her own breast cancer, she talks
about a poetry recital the group had weekly. A Ukrainian-Canadian scientist
recited Pushkin in Russian.

He started trying to translate it, but gave up and said, "Just listen to the
sound." And the impression she got is the same one I have of Pushkin - he
makes Russian language sound like music.

Isn't that the goal of poetry, no matter what the language?

Stephanie

~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
SECOND SALE: 28/07/10!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/

Got Your Spoon? Find out what they're all about (and find out a little about
me too!)
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory/