"Lenin lives" (was Mr. Mayakovsky too died in the gulag)

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Mar 2 21:15:02 UTC 2010

This is certainly the closest fit so far - but which of Lenin's Jewish
soratniki would have been so blasphemous? These triple formulas to
express eternity seem to be a topos in Judeo-Christian scripture. One
might add from the Doxology in many Christian liturgies, '... as it was
in the beginning, is now and ever shall be'. The tricolon more generally
as a rhetorical device is also common (e.g. Christus vincit, Christus
regnat, Christus imperat). The reinforcing power of triple statements is
very common in folklore and magic - and even football chants (my
favorite: 'he shoots, he scores, he eats labradors' - of a certain
Korean footballer).

Will Ryan