R: [SEELANGS] "Lenin lives" (was Mr. Mayakovsky too died in the gulag)

Luciano Di Cocco luciano.dicocco at TIN.IT
Wed Mar 3 11:20:49 UTC 2010

> Known--absolutely.  In every siddur in morning prayers.  As a song,
> known all over Jewish world (in Italy every town
> had its own traditional melody).  About as familiar as "Silent Night"
> is to Gentiles.
> Jules Levin

As far as I know Adon Olam is generally attributed to Rabbi Shelomoh ibn
Gabirol (Malaga, c. 1020-c. 1057), but the matter is controversial.

And as far as I know the text is not fixed, there are small local
variations.

And as Levin says, at least in Italy there are various musical arrangements,
from popular to classical, with local favourites.

Here you can listen to the version by Salamone Rossi from Mantua, 1622
http://www.zamir.org/Features/Italy/mp3/Rossi-AdonOlam.mp3

and here is the version of the text used by Rossi:

http://www.sfbach.org/text-adon-olam

Regards
Luciano Di Cocco