for discussion

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Mar 10 06:06:48 UTC 2010

Colleagues,

Ms Iryna Farion, the culprit behind the Misha / Mykhailyk scandal and
her right-wing political party have been  duly criticized in numerous
venues by fellow Ukrainian-speaking citizens.  Here is just a small
sampling of their reactions:

Oleksij Skrypnyk (09-III-10):
   http://www.pravda.com.ua/columns/2010/03/9/4844536/
    http://blogs.pravda.com.ua/authors/svirko/4b896c9f1112e/
Stepan Khmara (Ukrainian People's Party) (23-II10)
    http://vgolos.com.ua/politic/news/35864.html
Nadia Oksenchuk (Head of the Lviv City Council Division of Education)
   (28-II-2010)
    http://maidan.org.ua/static/news/2010/1267377066.html
    (22-10-2010)
    http://galinfo.com.ua/news/63864.html

For my part, let me add that when I immigrated to Chicago, high school
teachers anglicized my name, by addressing me as Natalie, even though
all my documents identified me as Natalia.  Today only the occasional
(anglophone or francophone) secretary and shopkeeper will attempt to
rename me.  However, at American and Canadian Universities I still
encounter Russian colleagues who insist on calling me Natasha, despite
my protestations.  Similarly, my colleagues Bohdan and Oleh also get
renamed as Bogdan and Oleg.

In all fairness to the misguided right-wing lawmaker, it should be
noted that per each Farion in Lviv Oblast, there are at least ten
russophone counterparts in Donetsk, Luhansk or Kharkiv who will impose
their will and transform a Marijka, Meshko / Mykhas', Darusia,
Natalochka, etc. into a Masha, Misha, Dasha, Natasha, etc.  However,
such stories do not make it to the newspaper.  They are far too
common...

Natalia Pylypiuk, University of Alberta
[www.arts.ualberta.ca/~ukraina/]