Differences between Eastern and Western Ukrainian

Krafcik, Patricia KrafcikP at EVERGREEN.EDU
Wed Mar 10 06:56:22 UTC 2010

Grover--

Just to add to Graham's response here:

When you refer to western Ukraine, you are no doubt speaking at least in part of the westernmost
oblast in Ukraine--Zakarpatia (Transcarpathia, or historically, Subcarpathian Rus')? If so, then it is
understandable that you should perceive differences in language, even significant differences. This
region was for centuries part of the Hungarian Kingdom and participated in the cultural, political, and
social life of that body. After World War I, with the demise of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Subcarpathian
Rus' became a third republic within the new Czechoslovakia. At the end of World War II, it was annexed
to the Soviet Union. Lying at the very center of the European continent, this region was a crossroads
geographically and culturally, the place, for instance, where Eastern and Western Christianities
encountered each other face to face. The Carpatho-Rusyns who resided and reside here are part of a
continuum which stretches into eastern Slovakia (the Presov Region), southeastern Poland (the Lemko
Region), including small pockets in Hungary and Romania.

The Carpatho-Rusyn language spoken in eastern Slovakia was codified in 1995 as a distinct East
Slavic language, and while very close to Ukrainian, it exhibits sufficient grammatical peculiarities
such that Rusyn linguists and most Rusyn speakers feel their language to be distinct from standard
Ukrainian. You would have noticed the same kind of situation with regard to language in neighboring
Subcarpathian Rus' (Transcarpathia).

Some reading that might help elucidate the situation historically and today are:
"Shaping of a National Identity: Subcarpathian Rus' 1848-1948" (Harvard Univ. Pr., 1978) by Paul R. Magocsi;

"The Encyclopedia of Rusyn History and Culture" (Univ. of Toronto Pr., 2002; rev. and exp. 2005), Paul R. Magocsi and Ivan Pop, eds.;

"Straddling Borders: Literature and Identity in Subcarpathian Rus' (Univ. of Toronto Pr., 2003) by Elaine Rusinko;

"The Rusyn Language. A Grammar of the Literary Standard of Slovakia, with Reference to Lemko and Subcarpathian Rusyn." Languages
of the World/Materials Series, Vol. 476. Munich: Lincom, 2009, by Stefan Pugh;

The Carpatho-Rusyn Research Center (1978), now an affiliate of the AAASS, publishes a series: Classics of Carpatho-Rusyn
Scholarship (Columbia University Press: East European Monographs) which contains an impressive list of books on the
Carpatho-Rusyns.

This summer for the very first time a program of Rusyn language, history, and culture will be held at the Institute for Rusyn
Language and Culture at Presov University in Presov, Slovakia--clearly a reflection of the growing cultural revival which the Carpatho-Rusyns in Slovakia, Ukraine, Poland, Serbia, and Croatia have been experiencing since 1989.

Hope this response helps just a bit more in connection with your query about language.

Patricia Krafcik
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, Washington 98505
krafcikp at evergreen.edu