Esenin-Volpin

June Farris jpf3 at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Mar 22 20:31:04 UTC 2010

Dear Professor Yatsenko,

I checked the Library web page at Portland State and confirmed that you have access to the database "WorldCat" through which your student can do an author search under Esenin-Volpin and see which books of his (in English, Russian and German) are held by North American libraries. He/she can then request those books of interest on Interlibrary Loan.

I found the following articles about Esenin-Volpin:

Sviridova, Alexandra. "Living in Lawlessness." In: East European Constitutional Review 7, 1 (1998): 71-75.

Contribution to the feature, "Citizen and Law after Communism," in this issue of East European Constitutional Review. "In 1992 I made a television film about an extraordinary man: poet, mathematician, and dissident Alexander Esenin-Volpin, who drove the ruling order crazy simply by appealing to the law. Esenin had taken the trouble to read and study the Stalinist constitution, and he declared it beautiful. The problem was that no one used it-neither Stalin nor the people. Esenin decided to give it a try. Supported only by the law, he wrote a memorandum titled "How to Behave During Interrogations," which was used in the early 1960s by all dissidents who anticipated arrest. Never did I think that I would be using it thirty years later in the "new" Russia." The author then describes her battles with passport officials at the Russian consulate in New York and border guards at Moscow's Sheremetyevo Airport.

Tosurian, Irina. "Esenina ona liubila: No menia liubila-bol'she." In: Literaturnaia gazeta 4, 5586 (Jan 24, 1996): 6. [interview with Esenin-Volpin]

And this wiki article on Esenin-Volpin has some external links with both biographical information and text of document, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Esenin-Volpin

Best,

June Farris

_________________

June Pachuta Farris

Bibliographer for Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies

Bibliographer for General Lingusitics

Room 263 Regenstein Library

University of Chicago

1100 E. 57th Street