simple grammar question

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Tue Mar 23 18:35:01 UTC 2010

 I would explain it that negative-genitive connection makes her SO
nonexistent that she can't even be in the nominative case and be the
subject of the verb. In the other case, the being is really the
equivalent of "not going", so she retains her subjectivity.

But I'm just a teacher, and my students still have problems!

Melissa Smith

On 3/23/10 12:04 PM, John Langran wrote:
> Nola
> I sometimes explain this by translating it as:
> Тогда  её не было в Москве. At that time, there was none of her in
Moscow
> "She" is not the subject, "none of" becomes the subject, and is neuter.
>
> John Langran
> www.ruslan.co.uk

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor