Two Fewer Time Zones in Russia

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Tue Mar 30 11:58:50 UTC 2010

http://news.kremlin.ru/transcripts/7225

This has been presented as basically the start of a reform of the system -
sort of a test run with more changes possible in the future.

The problem isn't really just about government as well, my wife works in the
Russian head office of a multinational and complains fairly often that it's
hard to get the information she needs from Irkutsk and Vladivostok because
they are just starting their days when Moscow is finishing its day.

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet - but there is also some fairly
serious discussion of dropping daylight savings time in Russia as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of John Dunn
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:43 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Two Fewer Time Zones in Russia

I think that at national level the idea had been not so much shelved as put
on the back burner, until such time as someone had the time and inclination
to put together a nation-wide programme.  As I understand it, the changes
that have just taken place are the result of a series of decisions taken at
regional level, which neatly demonstrates how to combine federalism with the
vertical of power.

John Dunn.