Update on proposed merger at Connecticut College and thanks

Andrea Lanoux alano at CONNCOLL.EDU
Thu May 6 20:35:12 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues,

Yesterday, May 5, the Dean of Faculty at Connecticut College released
the final version of the 2010/11 staffing plan, which no longer
proposes a merger of the Slavic Studies and German Departments at the
college, but rather outlines an open process for discussing the future
development of those programs. We see this as a positive sign, as well
as an indication that the hundreds of voices expressing opposition to
the proposed merger were heard. I am deeply grateful to all of you who
expressed support for the Slavic Studies Department at Connecticut
College, either by joining our "Save Slavic Studies" Web site or by
sending a letter directly to Dean Brooks. I am especially grateful to
Helena Goscilo, Kevin Moss, Charles Arndt, Robert Romanchuk, Sally
Kent, Marko Dumancic, Rusty Spears, and Helen Reeve, all of whom wrote
personal letters to Dean Brooks at the end of April when no one has
time for such things.

Thank you, all, for your help and steadfast support!

Gratefully,

Andrea Lanoux, Chair
Department of Slavic Studies
Connecticut College