Now Russian at Cornell is threatened (again)

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu May 6 22:07:44 UTC 2010

Don't forget James Billington. (Note, everything is "local": Tom Beyer
remembered his governor, I remembered the Library head, here in town.)

Well, in another decade Chinese scholars and former arabists will occupy
their places.

As I see it, there is a difference between Cornell and Connecticut
college. In Connecticut college they are trying to save on the overhead,
I don't see much harm there considering that German enrollments have
been going down around the country as were Russian.

But closing a major as in Cornell goes against liberal arts and Ivy's
traditions in education. Not to mention that the faculty involved were
not even informed.

AI