Registering w OVIR

Ivan S. Eubanks ieubanks at pushkiniana.org
Fri May 14 17:41:19 UTC 2010

Some time ago someone posed a question about registering with OVIR when
staying with a friend or in a friend's apartment rather than a hotel,
etc.  I couldn't find the original email, but just today I registered at
the post office.  It's not difficult (or it doesn't have to be, although
we all know how that goes), but you need to have your host/hostess with
you--in fact, that person can do everything alone.  I'm not sure, but I
think the following instructions will work for those holding Russian
passports because most of the people in line were doing it for Russian
nationals.  You'll also need the following:

1) two identical copies (not photocopies--both must be filled out and
signed by hand) of a zaiavlenie filled out correctly and with no
corrections or mistakes (I had to redo the whole thing because of an
ink-blot)
2) a photocopy of your passport
3) a photocopy of your migration card (if indeed you have one)
4) an opis' describing everything in the application package (you can
get this, form no. 107, at the post office with the zaiavlenie)
5) a photocopy of your host's (or hostess') passport
6) the zaiavlenie must be signed twice by the host/hostess
7) a legal-sized envelope (properly addressed to the appropriate office
depending on the address of the host/hostess, much like with the
American IRS; the post office can provide the appropriate information)
8) it will cost approximately 200 rubles.  It might be worth the higher
cost to get a tourist agency or hotel to do it, but if all goes smoothly
you can do it yourself (or get your host/hostess--whomever rented you
the apartment or allowed you to stay with him/her) to do it in a
relatively short amount of time.

If this doesn't work, I'll be having headaches when I cross the border
by train back into Latvia.  It took me seven hours to get everything
right, and this includes the first post office being out of forms and
sending us to a second one, an argument with one postal worker that
resulted in my hostess asking why she had such a bad attitude, which
required us to go to a different post office.  This one employed a very
attentive official who made us refill all the forms twice due to the
aforementioned inkblots and the fact that I put "Leningradskii" instead
of "Rossiia" where the zaiavlenia asked for oblast'.

Good luck!