taking poll on pronunciation

Sun May 16 23:47:38 UTC 2010

Nola wrote:

> I would definately expect to hear "BoroDINo". It's natural somehow
> for us- well, Americans, anyway- to try to stress the second-to-last
> syllable in words like these. I remember a TV ad with Ricardo
> Montalban in the '70's for a car: the Chrysler Cordoba. Cordoba has
> stress on the first syllable. I was surprised when Ricardo called it
> "CorDOba". My husband was surprised too(he was a native Mexican). We
> learned later that the Chrysler company decided to call it "CorDOba"
> because they knew most Americans would be too stuborn to stress the
> first syllable anyway.  So even Ricardo Montalban(Montal-BAN, hehe!)
> had to say it like that in the commercial.

Perhaps they could've gotten the Spanish stress placement if they had
added an "-n" -- "Córdoban," like the leather. ;-) They could've
promoted the car by announcing that the seats were upholstered in
luxurious cordovan leather...

But they still wouldn't have gotten the bilabial fricative [β] or the
flapped [ɾ] or the dental [d̪].... Nosotros no somos Mexicanos...

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com