taking poll on pronunciation

Ernest Sjogren esjogren at NC.RR.COM
Mon May 17 00:53:08 UTC 2010

Paul Gallagher > Perhaps they could've gotten the Spanish stress placement
if they had added an "-n" -- "Córdoban," like the leather. ;-)

They chose "CorEENthian leather," instead.  This was a commercial that could
not be avoided in the mid 1970s, if one watched TV at all.  As jarring in
its way as the introductory commercial for the Chevrolet "Le ManZ," as
another commercial several years before would have it.

The Cordoba ad can be viewed on You Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o.

As for Borodino: I suspect most Americans don't pronounce the word at all,
as they have never heard of it.  Borodi'no (on the penult), is what I have
heard, on rare occasions

Ernie Sjogren